Thursday, September 22, 2011

Simple Project-Harry Potter Scarf Knitted in The Round

As I mentioned before in my simple projects posts I have been learning to knit.  I am still very much a beginner and definitely make a lot of mistakes.   I wanted to share the first thing I knitted, a Harry Potter scarf (fitting since I am a major fan-link).  One of the major reasons I wanted to learn how to knit is that the Harry Potter books are full of references to knitting and there are lots of fun knitting projects inspired by the books and movies.  A lot of them can be found in this book: 



http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61qE9UraSoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Charmed Knits available from Amazon.   Most of the projects are way beyond a beginner like me, but it is a great read anyway and it gives me something to aspire too.  The simplest project in the book, the first and second year scarf, is available online already so I don't feel bad about posting it here.  It is modeled after the scarf warn in first and second movies.   

The scarf is knit in the round, so you only need to know how to do the knit stitch to make it.  
Bob is totally ready to enroll
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiz71-9MbXtFnG-vrN72zVZil4v0NY4jnDEENsS2HmuWcJ7HXQJgV347m2msin8sSguuw35mfsPLeexgcpxD4g16Zyz9ONFv28TAf11SQbc09QyJWAAZUBV3548zFGm7cIchH4OjDfCvac6/s1600/hp2-hogwartsscarves.jpg

Harry Potter House Scarf-Knitted in The Round

  • Size 8 16 inch circular needle
  • Yarn in house colors , for Gryffindor you need 460 yards of Burgandy yarn and 420 yards of gold yarn.  I used lion brand yarn but the book recommends  Cascade Yarns, Superwash
  • Yarn needle
  • Crochet Hook Size J 
 Cast on 70 stitches with color A (Burgandy for Gryffindor, Dark Green for Slytherin, Royal Blue for Ravenclaw and Yellow for HufflePuff). Place a marker and join in the round
Knit 23 rounds of color A, 19 rounds of color B, (I used the cut and tie method but you could also use the wrap a new color method to do color changes), 24 rounds of color A, repeat. 

You should have about 19 color changes. 

Note: This scarf is really long, I decided to end mine after 17 color changes.

Bind off 


Fringe: 
Cut 84 pieces of yarn in color A and 70 pieces of color B, each strand 15 inches long.   
Hold 7 strands of yarn together and fold in half.  Place the yarn on the the Crochet hook  and pull through both layers of knitting.  With the loop still on the hook catch the yarn ends with hook and pull through the loop to knot.  Pull tight to secure.  For fringe groups begin and end with color A.


As demonstrated by Norbert the scarf is the perfect thing to wear while lying around the house reading.


  

8 comments:

  1. Bob & Norbert look great!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cool! We are HP fans as well. I need me one of those scarves.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely love your scarf!
    bob and norbert are ready for school at hogwarts!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tehee love the pictures of Bob and Norbert, looks like they appreciate your efforts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shouldn't pick on your knitting. It looks great and you are having FUN!! I never really really mastered the needles, but I love my crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Urban Hounds will be warm this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, this post makes me wish I was ven a half dent knitter. I'm the worst. I knitted a scarf once and it looked like Kolchak ate the yarn and vomitted up the scarf. To add insult to injury That crappy scarf only took me a full 78 hours to knit. *never again, never ever again* I will just have to ogle your projects in envy :0)

    ReplyDelete