Reasoning that I cant be the only person who wants to learn to knit, and that if a pattern is simple enough for me to follow then anyone can follow it, I have decided to post some of the projects I have made on here. My ultimate goal is to be able to make dog sweaters, and a sweater for myself as well, but that may be a year or so off. I have definite sweater fear.
One of the first things I knitted somewhat successfully was a simple infinity scarf, or cowl. Here is the picture:
It is very quick to make, and basically impossible to screw up, as its basically just a tube of knitting. I definitely made a few mistakes along the way, but you can't really notice when its on. Definitely a great beginner project:
- 16 inch size 8 circular knitting needles
- About 200 yards of sport weight or light worsted weight yarn, I used LB Collection Cotton Bamboo Yarn in Hibiscus (if you are near NYC the lion brand yarn studio is a great store and less expensive then most of the yarn shops in the area.)
- Stitch marker ring
I didn't use a specific pattern for this. Instead I looked at a bunch of patterns online and came up with this:
- Make a slip knot (slip knot tutorial) Note: I usually always make a longer tail then 12 inches, more like 20)
- Cast on 80 stitches, if this doesn't seem like enough stitches add 10 or twenty more (cast on tutorial) Note: I was scared of circular needles at first but you cast on the same as you would with straight needles, just hold one side circular needle as if it was a straight needle and let the needle on the other end dangle out of the way)
- Position the stitches evenly around the circular needles, making sure that its not twisted, you should be able to trace your finger around the circular needles on your stitches like a train car on a railroad track.
- Join in the round (tutorial)
- Place a stitch marker like she does in the video
- The pattern I used was knit one (K1), Purl 1 (P1) all the way around. You could also do all knit stitches.
- Knit Stitch Tutorial
- Purl Stitch Tutorial
- Once your work measures about 12 inches you are ready to bind off. Bind Off Tutorial.
On another note we were looking at the PBU Pet Bloggers United Site
and we saw that Oscar had posted about this awesome promotion from Shutterfly. If you have a blog you have a chance to win a free photo book, we made one of Bob when he was a puppy. We also use shutterfly every year to make our Holiday Cards. Here is last years: