Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Stamp Collectors

Late at night and scouring E-bay I made a recent snap purchase  a  vintage Golden Book of Dog Stamps 
 
for a whomping four bucks.   The book is very cute and though not in the best condition a long-ago child lovingly pasted the stamps on each page.

There is a whole section on the pug:

 It is quite interesting




 The bulldog is also represented (though sadly not the Brussels Griffon)


The best part of all is that the last page of the book praises the "mongrel dog" or just plain dog as the text calls him (or her)




My sweet Norbert, who as the text says is "nothing in particular, but everything" to me
I find it so touching that this child's book praised the "just plain" dog, likely owned by many of its young readers, along with his pure bred brethren.  I have placed the book in my vintage book display in my living room and there I plan to keep it!






14 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! COOL! n interesting. Golden Thanks for sharing. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find! I love what you said about Norbert! Awwwwe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find. Glad to see it found its way into a home that will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I haven't seen that book since I was a child...my mom used to collect stamps, and she had a book just like that! The wonderful things that can be found on E-bay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool find! Love what you said about Norbert :)
    Stewey

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that? I love your vintage book display!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome new book...you can find alot of neat things on ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great find! I always look for vintage books with a page or two about the Kuvasz. I am curious - is there a Kuvasz page in this stamp book?

    We love the text about just a plain dog.

    Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool book! I'm glad the pug is represented. Too bad there's no Brussels Griffon. THe "Just Plain Dog" page is great - it's really neat that they included the "mutt". My dad really like the illustrations in the book as well as your collection of vintage Wodehouse books (he says he's also a huge fan of that guy).

    -Love,
    Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sounds so cool!!! was there any mini schnauzers in the book? i'm curious what words would be used to describe them after reading about the mongrel-plain dog description!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat old book! I collect old etiquette books. Some truly hilarious instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool book!! I love the Just Plain Dog section too.
    Your vintage book display looks very cool too. This book is a great addition to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is a tresured piece for sures...i love things like that...although a lot of my stuff perished in the fire i hope to one day start my doggie collection of stuff again

    pibble sugars
    the pittie pack

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that's super sweet! Some child worked very hard on that and it is so nice that you have it to enjoy.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete