Friday, May 24, 2013

Queen Victoria-Dog Loving Monarch

Who was the most dog crazy monarch in the entire history of the dog loving British empire?  A serious contender would be Queen Victoria, and today is the 194th anniversary of her birth.  


As a child Victoria's exalted status led to extreme isolation, and as such her only real friends where her dogs.  Victoria's most favorite dog was her spaniel Dash who was her constant companion.  After her coronation Victoria returned to the palace and gave Dash a bath. When she decided to marry Prince Albert it was partly due to his fondness for Dash, and Dash's for him.  When Dash died in 1840, Victoria had this inscription placed on his grave.


Here lies
DASH
The favourite spaniel of Her Majesty Queen Victoria
In his 10th year
His attachment was without selfishness
His playfulness without malice
His fidelity without deceit
READER
If you would be beloved and die regretted
Profit by the example of
DASH

Dash was certainly not Victoria's only pet.   Throughout her reign she was surrounded by pets.  Including ponies, parrots, goats, and donkeys.


However dogs where always her particular favorite.  There where greyhounds:

Terriers:
Collies:


Spaniels:

Pugs


Pomeranians:


and many others
When the Queen was on her death bed one of her last requests was to have her Pomeranian, Turi, with her.



14 comments:

  1. Wow great post! I did not know Queen Victoria was such big aninal lover. Dash was really a pretty dog and many others I enjoyed knowing about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about her either! That's a sweet death bed wish really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A true dog and animal lover. Being the Greyhound fanatic that I am, I love looking at paintings of Eos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It runs in the family all the Royals are animal mad. Maybe she started the trend? Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I don't know about the dead ducks all over the floor though!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about her love if animals. That's wonderful!!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously love your posts like this. I learn so much! I knew she loved dogs, but had no idea. Wonderful photos, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Queen Victoria! I think I spot a couple of Border Terriers in those pictures I love reading posts like this one and learning such fun facts I watch the 2001 film "Victoria & Albert" recently but they left out this part of the story Have to share one great pug link with you http://www.sanger.dk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting! Nice how she seemed to have a variety of breeds.
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post!
    Hey btw, were you entering to win one of the IndieFlix subscriptions on my blog? I wasn't sure based on your comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was great, my great Grandmother had a little Pom..Have a wonderful day xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading this, I knew she was fond of pups but had no idea about all the rest! Great post! Love reading stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I did not know this. Way to go Vicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. taste of the wild reviews

    ReplyDelete